Monday, July 20, 2009

Tudo isto é fado

Friends know that one of my biggest dreams is to ride a bike through the sunflower fields of Tuscany, Italy. Everyone shall be dressed in white, waving at me, while the song Santa Lucia is playing in the background...

...well, this was until this morning when I rediscovered the fado, the music most representative perhaps of Portugal, a moving proof of the Portuguese's intimate connection with melancholy and things forlorn, the proverbial saudades.


Here's the Queen of Fado herself, the great Amália Rodrigues, singing the anthemic Tudo isto é fado (All this is fado), a song I want to be played if and when I go back to Lisbon to eat sardines along Rua Augusta on one of my melancholy nights.

UPDATE (1 August 2009): We now dedicate this song to the memory of former Philippine President Corazon Aquino, who has just died after months of battling colon cancer. Rest in peace and thank you!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger