Saturday, October 2, 2010

Viva España (The Filipino Version)

As a teacher of Spanish, I always find myself scouring the Internet in search of materials to bring to class. I'm happy to have found today the pasodoble Viva España, originally sung by Manolo Escobar, in a version done by a Filipino strings group called Trio Latino.



If you could allow me this bit of linguistic digression: listen to the song and try finding out how many times the "sh" sound was used (as in, shempre). To my mind, it's the best indication of how Spanish would've sounded like had it remained a lingua franca in the archipelago.

The Philippines might have lost the Spanish language but it is comforting to see that there still remain a lot of the Spanish influences in our language, our outlook and our culture.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger