Sunday, August 29, 2010

Multilingual "A puro dolor"

People who know me know this: the song that really made me want to learn Spanish is A puro dolor, perhaps the greatest hit of the now defunct (re-purposed?) Puerto Rican group Son By 4. I first heard it as theme song of the telenovela Mis tres hermanas on GMA7 (If I'm not mistaken, this was also Iza Calzado's first foray into the limelight, lending her voice to actress Scarlet Ortiz in Filipino)



A few months later, I found out that the same group did the English version of the song as it tried to penetrate the US market. The title was The purest of pain. The translation was great and was able to maintain the spunk of the original.


The song is so good that -- lo and behold! -- it has a version in Chinese sung by no less than Coco Lee! I don't know how good it sounds in Chinese, but judging from the karaoke versions done by Chinese-speaking fans, it must the THAT brilliant!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

vida... phyne ballerz

Powered By Blogger